LEMONY YELLOW SQUASH AND RICE SOUP WITH CLASSIC CARROT APPLE SALAD
September 13, 2017
Lemony Yellow Squash and Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 18 oz. yellow squash (about 2 large or 3 medium)
- 1 lemon
- 1 t turmeric
- 1/2 c long-grain white rice
- 4 c vegetable broth
- Very thinly slice the yellow squash, then finely dice.
- Pour a good glug of olive oil in your soup pot and heat over medium low, then add squash and the zest of the lemon.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add turmeric, the juice of the lemon, broth and rice.
- Cook uncovered until rice and squash are both cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Serves 4
Classic Carrot Apple Salad
- 3-4 c freshly grated carrots (4 to 6 medium sized carrots)
- 1/2-1 c raisins (regular, golden, craisins or a mix)
- 1 large apple, (peeled or not, your preference) cored and chopped
- 1/4 to 1/3 c mayonnaise
Gently combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.