SUMMER SQUASH SALAD WITH LEMON CITRONETTE, GREEN LENTIL SALAD, & WILD RICE SALAD WITH POPPY SEED DRESSING
SUMMER SQUASH SALAD WITH LEMON CRITRONETTE - serves 4
- ¼ cup pine nuts (or slivered almonds or sunflower seeds)
- 2 pounds mixed baby zucchini and yellow squash
- ½ to 1 cup quality feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint (or tarragon)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Use a vegetable peeler to shave the squashes into paper-thin ribbons, starting on one side and making quarter turns until you reach the seedy core. Spread the ribbons on a cutting board, sprinkle liberally with salt, and let them sit for 20 minutes.
- In a small skillet over medium-low heat, toast the nuts until they are turning golden and fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Make the citronette: In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon zest and juice, garlic, thyme, mint and parsley. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing is well blended. Set aside until you’re ready to serve.
- Rinse the squash and gently pat dry with a clean tea towel or paper towels. Place in a serving bowl (if you are not serving the salad immediately, refrigerate the squash until later).
- Right before serving, whisk the citronette last time. Toss the squash with the feta, pine nuts and citronette. Serve immediately.
GREEN LENTIL SALAD -serves 8
- 1 pound imported French green or brown lentils
- 1 medium onion, halved and stuck with 2 cloves
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
Rinse lentils and discard any pebbles. Place lentils, onion, garlic and bay leaf in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until lentils are tender, 25-35 minutes. Add liquid as needed.
- Discard onion, garlic and bay leaf and drain any excess liquid. Whisk vinegar, oil and salt together in a small bowl. Pour over warm lentils and toss.
- Before serving, season with pepper and additional salt, if necessary. Serve warm.
WILD RICE BLEND SALAD WITH POPPY SEED DRESSING
- 1 cup Lundberg Family Farms Organic Wild Blend Rice
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds or chopped pistachios
- For Dressing: 1/4 cup honey
- 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. poppy seeds
Prepare 1 cup Lundberg Wild Blend Rice according to package directions and cool. Mix cooled rice with celery, onion, dried fruit and cilantro in a large shallow serving bowl. Blend together dressing ingredients and stir into rice mixture. Refrigerate at least an hour. Garnish with sliced almonds and serve.