ZUPPA DI RAPA and SPRING RADISH SALAD
Zuppa Di Rapa
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium-large Vidalia onions, chopped in ½ inch dice
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ cup rice, Mahatma extra long grain white rice
- Freshly ground pepper
Heat the oil over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot or Dutch oven and add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until onions are beginning to soften, about 3 minutes.
Add the turnips and continue to cook, stirring often, until the turnips are translucent and the onions thoroughly tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and cook, stirring for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
Add the stock, salt, bay leaf and rice. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Taste and adjust seasonings
Garnish Add pepper, chopped parsley and serve, over croutons if desired, passing Parmesan cheese at the table for sprinkling.
Spring Radish Salad
- 1 # daikon radish, about 1 1/2 cups finely chopped
- 1/2 bunch of parsley, about 1/2 cup finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch of pepper
- 2 pinches of salt
1. Wash the radishes and remove the stems and any long roots. Finely cube the radishes into tiny pieces.
2. Wash the parsley and gently shake it or pat it dry. Finely mince the parsley.
3. Place the cubed radishes and minced parsley in a small salad bowl.
4. Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper. Toss gently.
5. Add the olive oil and toss again.
6. Taste the salad and make adjustments to your liking.
Add fresh micro greens